About St. Philip Neri Parish
St. Philip Neri Parish in Kinder, LA came into being in 1937, after a long wait by Catholics of the town. St. Philip Neri was granted ecclesiastical parish status in April 1937 with Msgr. Paul M. Fuselier as its very first pastor. Under the administration of Msgr. Fuselier, two mission churches were established as part of St. Philip Neri. These were St. Charles Borromeo in Fenton, which is a church parish of its own now, and Sacred Heart of Jesus in Kings Farm Community. Both chapels were built with financial help from the Extension Society of Chicago.
During its 75-year history St. Philip Neri Parish has had only five pastors. The Rev. Paul Fuselier served from 1937-1942. He was succeeded by the Rev. A. J. Robichaud, whose 43-year pastorate was one of the longest in the annals of the Church in Southwest Louisiana. Msgr. Robichaud retired in 1985, and was replaced by Fr. Ronald Groth who was elevated to the rank of Monsignor during his tenure as pastor. Msgr. Groth was transferred in July of 1991, and was replaced by Msgr. James Gaddy who arrived at the beginning of November after a four-month interval, during which Fr. Roland Vaughn served as administrator. Msgr. James Gaddy was transferred in July of 1999, and was replaced by our current pastor, Rev. Carlos A. Garcia, who was ordained to the priesthood of Jesus Christ on May 30, 1992. Fr. Carlos Garcia is originally from Colombia, South America.
Two missions were canonically responsible to St. Philip Neri: Sacred Heart Mission in Indian Village and St. Maurice Mission in Reeves, which was returned to St. Philip Neri in 2000. Both missions were closed in 2005 by the Most Reverend Edward K. Braxton, Bishop of Lake Charles at the time.
Most of St. Philip Neri Parish physical plant was built during Msgr. Robichaud's tenure. The present church building was built in 1961. A parish center was constructed in 1972, consisting of 12 classrooms, an auditorium, kitchen, offices, and a library. It has been named in Msgr. Robichaud's memory. The rectory was completed in 1984. Msgr. Robichaud died in 1994.
We thank God for His blessings throughout the years, for past generations of great people who have been an inspiration of faithfulness, dedication, devotion, and generosity. We thank God for a very solid and strong present, and for the wisdom and strength He gives us to walk toward the future with Faith and Hope.